Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sundance Films: Why We Laugh: Black Comedians on Black Comedy

Title: Why We Laugh: Black Comedians on Black Comedy
Director: Robert Townsend
Website: No website found
Potential Major Release Date: No known release dates beyond Sundance

Summary: Directors Robert Townsend and Quincy Newell offer this comprehensive and hilarious examination of the history, evolution and cultural significance of African American comedy in America, from the earliest minstrel shows to the latest HBO special. Featuring interviews with cultural critics and loads of comedic clips, this program features appearances by a who's-who of black comedians, including Chris Rock, Bill Cosby, Whoopi Goldberg and many more (NetFlix).

Thoughts: I’m not a huge fan of Townsend, but I’m all for this documentary. I love films that explore the evolution of certain aspects of our present society and I think this is a perfect time to explore black comedy and comedians- as many of the classic comedians of this modern day have turned more introspective and reflective. I can see this being a mix of great humor and honest observation. I hope this meets my high expectations… and that it comes to theaters soon.

No comments: