Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscar Nominees: The Runner-Up

Title: Trouble the Water
Director: Tia Lessin and Carl Deal
Awards already won: 6 wins (including cleaning up at the Full Frame Doc. Festival), 2 nominations

Summary: As the drama of Hurricane Katrina unfolded, New Orleans resident Kimberly Roberts recorded the chaos and devastation of her own experience on videotape. Her footage forms the heart of this portrait of Roberts's long journey with her husband, from the early days of the storm to their subsequent evacuation, resettlement in Memphis, and eventual return to the decimated city (From the Oscars website).

Personal Hype: A documentary I originally ignored, believing I knew everything it had to offer and in many ways I still feel that way. But, those who have seen this documentary have nothing but praise and come away truly impacted. Shot entirely by local citizens, this is probably my number two on my list for potential Oscar winners. I still don’t think it could win, but wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

No comments: