Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sundance Films: The Reckoning

Title: The Reckoning
Director: Pamela Yates
Website: http://www.thereckoningfilm.com/
Potential Major Release Date: No known release date beyond Sundance

Summary: Three years in the making, Pamela Yates's documentary follows prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and his team as they issue arrest warrants for perpetrators of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. With the ICC still in its infancy, Moreno-Ocampo must gain support from the international community in order to prosecute warlords from countries such as Uganda, Sudan and Colombia (NetFlix).

Thoughts: I like the idea for this film, especially because I've seen Luis Moreno-Ocampo featured in other documentaries (most notably Darfur Now). Unfortunately, the trailer for Pamela Yates' feature gives me the sense that this will be nothing more than an oversimplified, highly stylized production. It appears Moreno-Ocampo is given Christ-like qualities he must use to rescue the helpless 'others' of the world. I've already written this off unless someone can sway me otherwise. After all, if I need a topic oversimplified or highly-stylized I can watch local news.

No comments: