Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sundance Films: Wounded Knee

Title: Wounded Knee
Director: Stanley Nelson
Website: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/the_films/episode_5_trailer
Potential Major Release Date: Premiers May 2009 on PBS

Summary: This episode from the landmark documentary series "We Shall Remain" examines the tense 1973 standoff between federal agents and scores of armed Native Americans who occupied Wounded Knee, a small town on South Dakota's Pine Ridge Sioux reservation. Focusing on the dire social and other factors that led to the siege, this program also reveals how the violent clash also aided the modern rebirth of Native American culture and identity (NetFlix).

Thoughts: Wow. This looks like it could be a great documentary. Maybe I’m so intrigued by this story because I’ve never really heard it before, or maybe it’s the thought of a once combative but somewhat inspiring story from an extremely minor and outcast group of people. I’m not sure what it is, but this looks like it will be really good. I’m setting my TiVo now so I don’t forget.

No comments: