Friday, January 30, 2009

Sundance Films: Kimjongilia

Title: Kimjongilia
Director: NC Heikin
Website: http://www.kimjongiliathemovie.com/
Potential Major Release Date: No release date announced beyond Sundance

Summary: Marked by a long history of repression and information control, North Korea continues to scrupulously monitor the activities of its citizens. This exposé reveals daily life under a totalitarian regime as well as the stories of prison camp survivors. Filmmaker N.C. Heikin draws on her artistic sensibility as a dancer and performer to craft a stylish documentary that bears a surprising message of hope and inspiration (NetFlix).

Thoughts: The first ever 'teaser' trailer for a documentary I've ever seen brings mixed feelings. On one hand, the graphics and style could make an otherwise overly serious film appealing to the regular film viewer, but I'm not quite sure where Heikin plans to take his film. Judging from the summary, it appears to be a heavily stylized piece and if that's the case, I'm very intrigued. I just hope it doesn't disappoint. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes out for this one.

No comments: