Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sundance Films: The Cove

Title: The Cove
Director: Louie Psihoyos
Website: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi365560601/
Potential Major Release Date: No release date announced beyond Sundance

Summary: This riveting documentary (winner of the Audience Award at Sundance) follows a group of animal activists to a scenic cove in Taijii, Japan, where they use surveillance equipment to capture footage of a secretive and heavily guarded operation run by the world's largest supplier of dolphins. As the daring group risks their lives to expose the horrifying truths behind the capture of dolphins for the lucrative tourist industry, they also uncover an environmental catastrophe (NetFlix).

Thoughts: I read the summary for The Cove and at first was sorta skeptical- it just didn’t seem all that interesting and if its one thing I’ve learned, animal lovers don’t make compelling films (sorry, its just my point of view). But, after watching the trailer, I have to admit, I may adjust my opinion. The Cove looks like a suspenseful work, showing how being an animal lover doesn’t mean you shy away from danger. If I had to summarize my expectations for The Cove, I’d say I'm hoping it's Free Willy meets Mission Impossible. And I gotta admit, I am compelled to see that combination.

No comments: