Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wikipedia Is Truth

It may surprise you, but some people think Wikipedia is not the end-all-be-all of information. In fact, some people think it's actually "bad" for society (bad= anything detrimental to the well being of something or someone, like when I wake up to my cat scratching "redrum" into my bed post). Personally, I think these people are crazy neo-fascists, I mean, so what if my friend got his name into his high school's list of famous graduates by claiming he was a superhero. I mean, who hasn't let the bit of information slip through?

Ok, ok. I'll admit, Wikipedia is flawed, but don't take my word or argument for it, check out a recent discussion of the film over at the Orlando Sentinel. The 48-minute documentary is by Dutch filmmaker IJsbrand van Veelen, so expect a good serious discussion.


p.s. I don't actually think anti-Wikipedia-ites are neo-fascists.... but come on, any argument can be settled with one click of the button! How can you NOT want that resource? For instance, do bears actually eat beats? Not sure? I know one way to quickly find out... (well, two if you can catch the TV show reference)

No comments: