Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Muslims turn to rap

This is a last minute story, but I couldn't ignore it.  Tonight, on PBS' Point of View Documentary series, the film New Muslim Cool premieres nationwide.  The 90 minute piece follows Puerto Rican-American rapper Hamza Perez as he tries to live his life as an ex-felon turned Muslim.

Though the obvious issues of trying to be Muslim in post 9/11 United States will certainly be a topic of discussion, I'm hoping Jennifer Maytorena Taylor's documentary focuses on the unusual combination of a rapper-Muslim.  Yes, there are plenty of rappers who say they follow the teachings and practices of Malcolm X, but I think it would be an engaging story to see a Muslim man who is working to raise a religious community also try to carry a career as a rapper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have many doubts about New Muslim Cool.  What I do have, is high expectations, and if you are as interested in this film as I am, check it out on PBS tonight.  If you miss the premier, don't worry, PBS is committed to replaying documentaries over multiple weeks, so head over to the film's website to see when you can view it next.

No comments: