Friday, February 13, 2009

Sundance Films: Over the Hills and Far Away

Title: Over the Hills and Far Away
Director: Michel Orion Scott
Website: http://www.overthehillsmovie.com/
Potential Major Release Date: No known release date beyond Sundance

Summary: When conventional therapies fail to help their autistic son, Rupert and Kristin Isaacson travel with Rowan to Mongolia in the hopes that a combination of traditional shamanic healing and horseback riding will benefit him. Director Michel O. Scott's documentary juxtaposes scenes of the family at home in Texas with their journey on horseback across the breathtaking Mongolian countryside in search of reindeer herders and a powerful shaman (NetFlix).

Thoughts: Though admittedly I was skeptical of this documentary when I first read the summary, after watching its rather lengthy trailer and checking out its website, I have to say, I’m a bit intrigued. It seems like more than just a search for a cure, its also a search for peace and acceptance. I’m not sure I can predict what will happen to Rowan by the end of the film, but I know I want to find out.

No comments: